Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Training Plans

For the past 18 months I have been using a great website Run Coach to plan my training.  I was introduced when I signed up for the Houston Marathon and bought the plan during registration.  The website is great.  I entered my current running abilities, miles per week and the days.  I also provided my planned races and my goal race.  Then with a recent race, the website determined my paces for maintenance runs, tempo and speed work, and long runs.  I followed the plan pretty closely and diligently updated my runs.  My results for the Houston Marathon were fabulous, better than I expected.

I continued to use the site over the spring and into fall when I decided to do the Dallas Marathon.  When I planned my training I didn't think there were enough LONG LONG runs (over 16 miles) so I contacted the coaches at Run Coach.  I got a speedy response and they manipulated my plan for the right amount of long runs, and really encouraged me to add another day of speed work to my routine.  I followed the schedule closely again and had pretty good results for Dallas. 

But now I think I'm ready for a change.  I want to do more cross training with weights, yoga and upper body training.  I have Hal Hidgon's book and want to get Train Like a Mother, from the writers of the Another Runner Mother blog and podcast.  From one of these I will put together a running and work out plan.  I am still undecided on my next marathon (spring or fall?). 

Any suggestions for a good training plan? 

And I'm already working on my core, working on PLANKING with Susan.  I have also been doing Jillian Michaels' workout videos once or twice a week.  If only Jillian liked running!  Then I'd know exactly who to listen to.  But no, my leader isn't a runner and touts the benefits of weights + cardio.

No comments: