Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Rambling Post

I listed to a podcast called Get-Fit Quick Guy's Quick and Dirty Tips to Slim Down Shape UP and.... yada yada yada.  It's pretty good and the podcast are short and easy to listen to on the ride to work.  He had done several podcast about running, one in particular about how to run faster.  #1 was Lose Weight.  Sounds harsh, but if you are carrying less weight you exert less effort, so you can go faster.  One benefit of the Biggest Loser competition was losing 5-7 vanity pounds and also getting faster.  Another benefit is that I have somehow managed to drop a lot of body fat - according to my scale at home anyway.  A few months ago the magic body fat scale put me consistently between 25-29% body fat.  I was annoyed by this, so I decided to tell the scale it was stupid and ignored it.  2 weeks ago, I noticed that my body fat now comes up at 12.5%.  Which is insane.  I figured it was one day and the scale is known to be stupid.  But it has always been consistent at least.  My fat% has stayed around 12.5%, so I sort of want to believe the stupid scale now, cause I like what it says.

If it's accurate, I can attribute this to two things.

1. Adding weight training into my workouts.  I have been trying to do weights or a Jillian Michaels video at least twice a week since Biggest Loser.  This helped me lose those vanity pounds, and has made my core and arms feel stronger.
2. Changing my diet.  I do have bad eating days (see Saturday and Sunday).  But I have been making a huge effort to eat more fruits and vegetables, pay attention to what I eat, eat more organic and less processed foods.  I am still tracking my calories in My Fitness Pal and that keeps me honest.  I skipped the Diet Soda for 5 days last week, which sucked big balls but was able to eat less afternoon candy - I still ate the candy, just not 10 pieces.  I'm reading Jillian Michaels  Master Your Metabolism, and gotten both scared and inspired to make some changes. 

No comments: