Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

All the Whos Down in Whoville Like Christmas A Lot

What a wonderful Christmas!  After my post about expectations, I tried my best to not have any about the big day.  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.  Yes, I had carefully selected gifts that I was sure would be the best ever.  Yes, I planned big meals that I hoped would be delicious and eatten by all (all the adults anyway).  Yes, I dreamed of sweet children sharing their toys and delightfully playing all day.  BUT, I knew most of that would not happen and I would not be sad when things didn't turn out the way I hoped.  My plan was to do whatever was best in the moment.  Kids crazy - time for DORA or The Grinch.  Food picked at - make some nuggets. 

Fortunately, the kids loved their gifts and did play all weekend with them.  I think there was only one meltdown Christmas day (by Jack).  Gwen did admit she was jealous that Maddy got the same dolls as her, I guess she thinks DOLLS are Gwen territory, but she was very matter-of-fact about it and moved on.  John and Jenna both liked their gifts and I LOVE my NOOK COLOR that John got me. 

The food was delicious, but the kids mostly wouldn't eat anything new.  Who cares - I got to eat Monkey Bread, Aunt Anne's cheesy potatoes, ham, cucumber salad, brisket and wine.  The kids were happy with their mac'n'cheese and rolls. 

This Christmas was GREAT!  Looking back two years ago to our first Christmas as a family of five, things have improved dramatically.  I'm looking forward to next year already, but not setting any expectations that will disappoint me.  Whatever will be, will be!

No comments: