Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2007

#85 Holiday Traditions

How many times do you have to do something before it qualifies as a tradition? I think at least 5, which means I technically can't make any traditions in 1001 days. But either way, I tried to get started on this. This week we went to the Trail Of Lights, hoping to enjoy the light displays, maybe hear some music and generally enjoy Gwendolyn experiencing these things for the first time. Instead, we got a great reminder of why we don't do things that are free. In general, when an event is free way to many people show up that have no appreciation for the event - because they didn't have to pay for it. John and I first learned this rule at a concert downtown a few years ago. We were standing in line for the port-a-potties, listening to the 2 dirt bags in front of us talk about how they were going to smoke some weed, and where they could do it. From then on we have avoided free events, but occasionally forget about our rule. The Trail of Lights was pretty cool, and I would go again. But only if its cold enough to keep other kids away and maybe on a night when you have to pay to see it (ie: the Trail of Lights 5K night). It was literally wall to wall people on Tuesday, because it was about 60 degrees and a perfect night to be outside. Gwen did not really care one way or another about the lights.

We'll try again next year. I'll leave this item as "ongoing".

Update: On Saturday Gwendolyn and I made Christmas cookies. She really didn't participate much, besides standing with me at the counter, but it was cute. I wanted to let her decorate after the cookies were baked, but when all was said and done, I just did it myself, rather than letting the mess last 2 days and test my patience to its limit.

No comments: