Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Interesting Article

The Personal Retreat

A withdrawal from normal life.  Sounds pleasant, doesn't it?  The idea is simmering in my brain.  Where would I go?  What would I do?  All alone.  No responsibilities except to myself.  No agenda.  Probably some silence.  Most likely a run, a glass of wine, a good book, a hot bath, time outside, sleeping in.  No phone, no text, no email, no Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest.  Sounds pleasant, but also a challenge in a way.

I gave up a couple things for Lent.  Sweets, diet soda and Facebook.  I've been wanting to drop the diet soda for awhile and for me my afternoon soda and candy go hand in hand.  Facebook I thought would be the real challenge in day-to-day.  Both are really hard for me and I haven't been completely faithful.  Honestly, Friday I had all three and they were AWESOME.  I was feeling super stressed about work (still am) and finally broke down.  I posted a panic on Facebook, went down to the cafeteria and got a Diet Dr Pepper and then ate 2 Girl Scout cookies.  Ahhhhh... the tension was dulled away by the quick hit of sugar.  Hardly a "personal retreat", more like an addiction given a tiny bit of tinder.

No comments: