Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2008

#17 Volunteer at a Race

I love road racing. It is a lot of fun. In the past 5 years I have run 30 races. I did not enjoy my first race, the Dash Down Greenville 5k in Dallas Texas. John convinced me to run it with him and I thought I might die. But I didn't. We moved to Austin and we started doing more and more races and eventually I ran a marathon. After all the racing I have great respect and appreciation for the people that organize the events and volunteer. So much effort is put into getting sponsors, coordinating with city and police officials, advertising, setting up the course and wrangling volunteers to hand out water and provide support on the course.

I have been thinking for awhile that I need to give back to the running community by volunteering at an event. I picked the Hendrickson Hawk Hustle 5k & 1K on 3/1 at the Hendrickson High School. One of my co-workers is the race coordinator so I have some association (no, I don't have a kid in HS and I don't even live in Pflugerville). I like that it is a small race, so my support will really have an impact. I volunteered at the Austin Marathon 2 years ago and it was kind of a bummer. There were so many freakin volunteers there was literally nothing for us to do. We ended up going up to the race course and cheering people towards the finish.

So... I think you should all sign up for this race or volunteer with me to support my 101 goal!

Check out the Run Tex Website or the race registration page

No comments: